Mathematics can seem like an intimidating subject for many, but with the right practice and persistent guidance, our little ones can get to embrace the value of numbers. Because we utilize numbers in our everyday life, we can also benefit our children if they understand mathematical concepts early on.
Aside from enrolling your child to our Preschool in New York, you can also integrate mathematical lessons in your daily home life. Consider the following recommendations below:
- Count TogetherEven toddlers can learn how to count. The first ten digits can be a great start for your child to learn how to count. You can recite the numbers together every day, sing nursery rhymes about counting numbers, or play with the number sequence. Counting numbers can also harness your child’s memory so getting them started on this step is an ideal strategy.
- Play with NumbersAs your child grows older and they are ready to enroll in our childcare in Bronx, New York, they can also become more familiar with numbers. You can integrate mathematical equations such as addition by playing. For instance, when they’re playing blocks, you can make sets of blocks that they can join together and then you count how many blocks are there in all.
- Spot the NumberWhether you’re indoors or outdoors, you can make use of this activity to spot numbers wherever you are. For instance, if you’re reading ingredients in their milk box, you can ask them to point at number 2 found on the label. This exercise enables your child to get more familiar with how numerals look and not only how they are sequenced together.
- Use Flash CardsYou can also invest in flash cards that contain simple mathematical equations. While this can be ideal for older children, particularly those in the school-age, these can also be practical tools to have a mental test of math equations. You can be creative such as using the cards into a game so that your child will find entertainment in learning numbers.
- Apply Every DayMake it an opportunity to integrate mathematics into your everyday life. The more familiar the children are, the easier it will be for them to transition into this knowledge. For instance, when you’re waiting for the traffic to turn, you can spot how many red cars are there on the road. This practice can help your child see that math is very much part of their daily living.
Aside from mathematics, we have more early childhood programs in our Head Start Pre-k. Your child is very welcome to learn with other children their age so they can have a good foundation of learning. At Sharon Baptist Head Start, you can trust that we want nothing better than to see your child learning every day.
Do you have other inquiries about our programs? Ask us.