One of the common causes of allergic reactions is the food that our children eat. Most of allergens come from milk, soy, nuts, and shellfish. As your partner in providing quality childcare in Bronx, New York, we share what you need to know about food allergies.
- How do food allergies begin?
Every person has the immune system as the first line of defense against infection. Whenever bacteria enter our body, the immune system destroys them. In the case of food allergies, whenever a child eats a particular food, their immune system releases the chemical histamine. This affects the respiratory and circulatory system, causing them to breathe with difficulty. Other symptoms also manifest as the body tries to fight the infection, like hives and swelling.
- What are the signs of an allergic reaction?
The following are the most common signs of an allergic reaction:
- Difficulty breathing
- Tightness of the throat
- Red spots accompanied by swelling
- Itchy and watery eyes
- Loss of consciousness
- How are food allergies treated?
Thankfully, there are treatments for allergic reactions caused by food. When your child manifests those symptoms after eating a certain kind of food, they can be administered by an anti-allergy treatment. This treatment is an over-the-counter medicine that is the most common medication for allergic reactions. However, some allergic reactions are too strong for the anti-histamine you’ve given that they will need emergency care. When you know your child is having an allergic reaction, it’s essential that you coordinate with their pediatrician so that you will have the medication they need.
- How else can you protect your child?
- If your child is enrolled in a Preschool in New York, check if their staff and teachers know about this so they can help you monitor what your child is eating.
- Teach your child to avoid the foods that trigger allergic reactions.
- Take charge in preparing for your child’s food.
- Read food labels to check their ingredients.
- When allergic reactions look serious, take the child to urgent care right away.
Caring and ensuring for your child’s well-being is also our goal at Sharon Baptist Head Start. You can trust that your child will be in their best condition as they learn through our programs such as Head Start Pre-k.
If you would like to learn more, contact us today.